Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Off the back.

Saturday I had my first race at the green days Crit.  I'll start by saying I lost.  I started the race off in the pack until we rounded the first corner.   The pack opened up on one the left side and I came upfront.  My intention was to hang in the front group but I decided for some reason that a cool break-away sounded like a good idea.  So off the front I go for 3 laps, about 2 laps in I look at my heartrate watch because I can't breath anymore and it says 205 still (ouch) by this time the pac is right on my wheel and I fall back in.  Somewhere around 4 laps later I get cut off at the corner by another rider and slowed down to 4 mph to not crash over the curb and this was the last of being in the group.  Now off the back with 20 minutes or so to go I pushed as hard as I thought I could but continued to loose ground.  I still finished the race but got lapped in the last lap.  So I have alot to learn about strategies and turning (not on of my strong points)  After the finish 34  minutes my average heart rate 193 and max 205 (not bad since threshold is 190) I felt like throwing up and it took me 10 minutes to catch my breath but still good times.  See ya at the next race maybe I can stay in the pack.

1 comment:

Buckshot77 said...

Congrats on getting out there and giving it a shot man. Off the back still beats off to the side (most of the time)... Maybe we'll see you out at Race like a girl on Thursday.